Saturday, July 26, 2008

More Than Three Islands After All


Saturday, July 26, The Thousand Islands, NY
Okay, I’ve been properly educated. There are indeed 1000 islands in the Thousand Islands. Actually, there are 1862 of them, as verified by a team from Canada and the US. Incidentally, if I’m off by one, blame the tour boat’s loudspeaker system. What makes an island an island? Two classes of flora, i.e., trees and grass for instance, and it’s got to be above water 365 days of the year. Obviously, Leap Year is a freebie.

This is a beautiful area, and I loved looking at all the tourists and trying to decide where they were from. Of course the bus full of Japanese people was a no-brainer, but the four Lithuanians we sat next to on the boat were a real challenge. When she left, the Mom smiled and remarked, “Have a nice day.” Thirty years ago, my Irish relatives thought it hysterical that they greeted us with “Hi!” Obviously the phrase books have been updated.

Tonight, a big treat. Our favorite rotini with clam sauce. If you’ll recall, that’s one of John’s specialties. Mom’s night off. I’m for that.
Betty

1 comment:

Hatchet said...

I hope you made it to, or at least to see..Calumet Castle, you are right smack there!

The waterfront in Clayton is lost in time, and I like it that way.

Ok, now I'm jealous.