Monday, July 28, 2008

The Collector


Tropicana RV Resort, Granby, Quebec

I am beginning to appreciate this place more and more. It appears that everybody who stays here longer than a day strings up Christmas lights, and there is a real competition for tacky display. The winner by a mile is one Herman Petters, 88 years old, whose mobile home is located at the beginning of all the parking spots. It's more home than mobile, as you will see from the pictures. Carting all his stuff away at the end of the season would take him all winter, so he might as well leave it be.

Herman is married to Marie Beth Guay, who is the mother of her next-door neighbor, Chantal Trepanier and her charming husband Gaetan Chalifoux. Chantal is only 47 and looks even younger. She has four daughters and two grandsons, Jessy James Moffatt and Jeremy Trapanier, who were both with her this day. I persuaded Gaetan, himself the father of two, so doting that he's tatooed their names on his arm, that he need not put a shirt on for me -- I think he was all set to take a shower, shave and put on a whole new set of clothes for this one picture -- so anybody reading this should know that he's a real gentleman.

Such nice people! They even offered me their golf cart to go around and take pictures, but I demurred. Herman's house was all I wanted to remember.
Betty



a>




4 comments:

Sue said...

This goes under the "you can't make this stuff up" category!I'm curious. Did you just go up and knock on a dalmatian and say Can I snap a few pix? Love, Sue

Hatchet said...

Betty!

Run for your lives!!! Herman Petters is wanted in 10 Provinces and 3 Territories for the theft of Lawn Ornaments!!!

Sacrebleu!

Chris said...

At last, we finally know where all the "stuff" goes when garage sales are over! There's no place like "gnome" ! I checked the schedule...don't miss your campgrounds showing of the movie on Aug 2nd. " Chomage" It's all about unemployement. You could watch and laugh !
Love,
Kathy

Chris said...

Oh My God.

You found PeeWee Herman's house.
You're hilarious!!

(I know you are, but what am I...?)

Chris
XXX