Saturday, July 19, 2008

Missing Things

The Rent a Wreck is nicer than our Buy a Disaster, clean and recent of vintage, and its wheels appear not to be on fire. We’re headed for the 37th Can-Am Festival in Sackets Harbor, to celebrate “Two Nations Side by Side, Neighbors in Peace Abide and Liberty.” A nice thought, even if the poetry doesn’t quite scan.

Zeus is wet and grungy from his dip in Lake Ontario, and I’m sure he’ll use our silk bedspread (don’t ask) to dry off in our absence. Nevertheless, I’m looking forward to a day without doggy. This is more animal togetherness than I’m used to.

Speaking of what I’m used to, I realize I miss my friends in the office for more reasons than just the sweetness of family I enjoyed for 11 years. Tony, my technologically gifted go-to guy, would have been able to get my NY Times Crossword, a daily addiction, open in something other than Word, which gives me the puzzle in binary code instead of a grid. Something about a program I was supposed to download first.

My adopted son and best boy Jim, who writes, edits and is otherwise a profoundly funny guy, would have figured out my coffee maker and shown me how much coffee to load so that I didn’t get tan water for my morning brew.

Wende and Pat, producers extraordinaire, my best galpals and greatest supporters, would have the inside scoop on everything, and I do mean everything, worth knowing.

And Frank, my prodigiously talented partner and the Bad Cop of our Good-Cop-Bad-Cop routine – except when I take on Bad Cop and surprise the hell out of everybody including myself -- would be hard at work beating me to the finish line on the puzzle every time.

Chris and Ryan, two of the most decent, funniest, most creative and dearest people I know, would be doing all the work and making me proud of our DeVito Fitterman advertising creative, and Teri, so sincere and so earnest, would be hard at work trying to explain her accounting practices to Frank as he swept through 68 Across for the checkered flag.

I miss you guys.
Betty

6 comments:

Hatchet said...

Ok, first Cicero, and now this: I have been to Sackets Harbor....and seen the battlefield.

Could your next stop be Clayton? Gateway to the Thousand Islands?

There was a Fire Tournament there on 7/19, and given your new need for a having a fireman handy, I would suggest it would be a good place to network..

PS- what is fnanysj, and why do i have to write it to blog here?? I know it was those damn Cesarians.

Jim said...

miss you too betty!

drcarpenter said...

Blogging on a bus/rv,, who knew that it would be this entertaining!
My mom used to camp in Clayton on the water at a rv/trailer park.
Was sort of gomer meets the munsters!
Is there a part on the bus without a scratch?
Good luck.

drcarpenter said...

Blogging on a bus/rv,, who knew that it would be this entertaining!
My mom used to camp in Clayton on the water at a rv/trailer park.
Was sort of gomer meets the munsters!
Is there a part on the bus without a scratch?
Good luck.

Patsy said...

miss you too Betty Boop!

Enjoyed all your entries. Keep them comin.....

Dinty said...

Betty,

Your Blog is great! I loved reading it. It's a riot. This could be a good book!

It would help me if you said where you are in each day's blog. Syracuse helped. I was lost before and after that. Maybe each day say where you are after the date?

Could you make a map of your progress – like the Times' Tour de France? (You could photograph your map and add a highlighter)

Sweet, happy travels for you, John and Zeus.
Good Luck!

All the best,

Denny