Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Don't Do It Better


It only took me 66 years to figure this out. If you don’t want have to do it all, for god's sake don’t do it better. The mistake a lot of women make is that we actually are pretty good at things. Especially multi-tasking. We multi-task like crazy. Men have a hard time multi-tasking. They are hard-wired to do one job and immerse themselves in that endeavor, eschewing distractions and accomplishing perfection at that one thing.

Women are hard-wired to handle lots of disparate things at once: running a marketing firm, speaking at a luncheon for African Relief, planning menus, figuring out the square footage of a room, solving a difficult geography question on an eight-year-old’s homework and breast-feeding. At the same tine. That’s not to say that women are superior beings. There’s a lot to be said for the focus men put on singular tasks. Just don’t try to interrupt a man in the middle of a monumental job. And the afore-mentioned: don’t be better at things you’d rather not be doing.

The smartest thing I ever did was to dye my husband’s underwear pink. Early on in our marriage, I threw a red garment in with his scanties and ruined the entire load. Yessss! Never did the man’s laundry again. Later, I convinced my kids that if they wanted their own clothes to emerge undyed, they’d better learn to do their own laundry themselves. I’m talking eight- and five-years-old. You can’t start too early with that sex. The five-year-old still won’t let a woman touch his laundry, and he’s 34. Whatever woman he ends up with owes me a big piece of jewelry, I’m telling you.

This evening, John is out walking the dog, sure that I won’t pee and poop him properly. Then he’s going to come back to our RV spot and make a fire. Women can’t make fires. Almost blew it last night when I suggested that poking the logs so that they were reduced to little chunks of burning wood was one sure way to put our meager little flame out fast.

What was I thinking!! A low fire is better than a roaring flame if you don’t have to do it. Why do I have such a hard time following my own rules? Will I ever learn?
B

1 comment:

Fittermania said...

now I know... I'll never do my own laundry again