Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Dropping of the Other Shoe

Not Lake Placid

I knew it couldn't last.

We are not in Lake Placid. We are not camped on a serene lake with view. We are in a KOA Kampground (sic) in a heavily wooded area in the town next to Lake Placid with no view. There is a busload of French Canadian kids camped out nearby with what appears to be all of two adults with them.

Our first site was a muddy slope which assured us we'd never ever be able to level this monolith. It's just too big for the world. Went back and requested another site. It took almost half an hour, but we were moved to the site next door. Fine.

John backed the bus straight into a tree and put a three-inch crack in our fiberglass hull as I ran up to him, arms waving, yelling stop stop stop. He didn't didn't didn't.

I opened the door and he looked at me and said, "I hate this place already."

I suspect we'll be coming home early.

Stay tuned.
Betty

No comments: