Sunday, August 8, 2010

Compliments to Mother Nature

On Rte 90 heading for Hudson, Ohio

A few days ago, when we were in Connecticut, Laurie and Mark Johnson very sweetly asked us if we would like to join them for dinner on their anniversary, that night. We declined, saying we'd been (pity) pre-invited by Pam and Dick, but thanked them for offering to share their special day with us. Imagine. Two pity invites in one day. We certainly are worth feeling sorry for, obviously.

Instead, we are now headed for Hudson Ohio, to which they've only just returned, to keep the dinner date and celebrate their anniversary belatedly. On my sister Kathy's birthday, ironically. (Why that is ironic I can't tell you. Maybe coincidentally is the better word, but it certainly isn't as interesting.)

After all my carping about the hot weather last month, I felt it incumbent on me to remark on Mother Nature's recent gift of low temperatures, low humidity and high clouds in blue sky. It's been fabulous, hasn't it. And great sleeping weather. We kept all the shades up so the breeze could waft through our bedroom, which also meant the sun showed up earlier than I wanted, waking most of the campground.

Why is it that some people think 5 in the morning is not the nighttime? Why do they insist on walking their pooches at that hour ... and talking to them in full outside voice? "Good boy, nice poopie, good dog, ready for a run? Yeehah! Let's go!"

Do they really think the dog is interested in their patter at that hour? My dog hears it, wurfs in his sleep, adjusts, then goes right back to snoring. Now that's a dog worth having, let me tell you. And I never have to give him a poop pep talk. He just does it. Then again I watch Cesar Millan regularly and know all about dog psychology. My dog is in balance, as Cesar would observe. And being an old dog, he likes to sleep late, same as his owners.

Nevertheless, it was nice to get up and brew a cuppa early in the morning and enjoy the rising sun, the sweet breeze and the pearls of dew on the grass outside. Not to mention doing the NYT Sunday Crossword on line. I'll bet Joyce and Pam and Dick and Maggie and Fred haven't even started yet. Heh heh.

Okay, now I'm going back to sleep. John's driving, the road is flat and wide, and my eyes are closing. It's 11 in the morning. Time for my nap. Obviously.

B

No comments: