Friday, November 28, 2008

Ah So uthwestern


Carlsbad, NM KOA Campground

Coming from New York, I naturally assumed that the most popular foreign cuisine in America would be Italian. I know, of course, that the most popular—or at least the most prolific-- cuisine is the one called “Fast.” But we’re talking imports here.

Well, it appears I could be wrong. We have not hit one town that doesn’t have a Chinese restaurant. The tiniest, one-block town included. And Chinese Buffet seems to be the most common.

My long-time Chinese girlfriend would dispute this, stating that most of the dishes served in Chinese Buffets are American adaptations of Chinese dishes and therefore not true Chinese food. Having been to China, I have to agree.

Chow mein, for instance, is not Chinese at all, but an amalgam of available vegetables and rice cooked up by the Chinese immigrants who built the transcontinental railroad. What my mother would call “make-do.” Another difference: in China people rarely eat meat, whereas most American/Chinese dishes are meat, fish and shellfish-based. Most real Chinese food is not mix-y, but single vegetable, and each is cooked to its own particular specifications. And some Chinese vegetables aren’t even available here, like those incredible foot-long green beans I’ve never eaten before or since. American beans as a substitute? No wei ho sei.

I confess, there’s probably a pizzeria in every town too, but I don’t consider pizza real Italian food – more like Italian fast food. If you ask a local to point out the best Italian restaurant, they’re likely to point to Olive Garden. Okay, we’ll eat in.

Around these parts, of course, Mexican is pretty popular and Tex-Mex is the popularest. We ordered brisket delivered to our RV tonight, and I’d bet my entire life’s savings, such as it is, that it will bear no resemblance to a good old New York Jewish brisket, but will instead be smothered in barbeque sauce and slow roasted like the pulled pork I had a week ago. That’s fine. This is the West, so I shall eat Western.

Which brings up a question: does New Mexico’s Chinese Buffet taste any different from South Carolina’s? I don’t know. I only eat Chinese food in San Francisco and New York. Forgive me. I’m a purist.

Betty

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Betty! I really envy you! I drove a 27ft RV from South Florida to Boone, N.C. and loved every minute! Former Brooklynite, living in Sunrise, Florida. Took early retirement at 62 (this year)but still working part-time. Dream of doing what you are doing. Happy Holidays from Joe & Myrta!

Anonymous said...

I am having so much vicarious fun on your zigzag adventures. I would guess the writing makes the whole thing ten times more fun. I am jealous of the experiences you are filling your souls with. I must say from your observations this country has to collectively visit a dietician. It is a joy to read your blogs. I worried about your gas bills I worry no more.