Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dear Kevin,

Glad you have made the jump and are now looking forward to launch.

Many RV resorts have Internet. I'd even say, most do. Some don't, but that number is shrinking. However, you may want to use your computer while your significant other is at the wheel. If your whole life is your connection to the outside world, then you will want an Internet key. Otherwise, you can just wait and see if the place you're stopping at has Internet. And if it does, what does it cost? And if it is free, does it really work? These are all things we addressed during our first six months on the road.

I have a Verizon cellphone, and my husband has Sprint. I was able to contract for an Internet key with Verizon, and it gives me Internet connectivity wherever my phone works -- which is just about everywhere. it took me 3 keys before I truly bought that you had to take care of your plastic thingys or they will break and it will cause you grief. Now I am careful to handle my USB thingy carefully and I am happy to report that all is good, with very very few exceptions. It adds about $60 a month to my phone bill, but I am glad to pay it, as my writing, research and communicating with the rest of the world is of premium importance to me.

John just got a Droid with wifi capability included and adds only $20 a month to his bill. (He has Sprint.) But that involved buying a new phone, and I am not, seriously not, an early adopter, so I will have to see if that works for him before I upgrade to a real phone, my current flip phone being quite ancient in today's hi-tech universe. But hey, it works for me, and while I can't text with ease, I still like it. For another month, anyway. My birthday may signal a move up the ladder. (And I won't have to pay. There's a method to my old-fashionedness.)

So do you want to add $60 to your current phone bill and live with that? Or do you want a new phone that costs $Bazillion and has that capability at $20 a month. Either way, if you're living full time in a bus, this is one expense you may want to bear. It really depends on just how connected you want to be. But if you asked, I think I already know the answer to that one.

Happy travels. Stay in touch. I wish you many many days of wonderful experiences.
And no calls from anybody wanting money. Hey, we're retired, y'know?

Best wishes,
Betty

No comments: