Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Oklahoma. Yow!

Cedar Valley RV Park
Guthrie Oklahoma

If Texas is cowboy country, Oklahoma is even cowboyer. We weren’t three miles across the border when I saw a horse farm. Then another. And another. This is truly horse country. And while I didn’t see one cowboy hat in Houston, I have seen three since I got here. Including the one on the old geezer sitting behind the desk at this campground. I’m only calling him that because he stuck us next to the dumpster. Ornery old cuss.

The corn isn’t as high as an elephant’s eye, yet, but it’s here and growing. And I’m sure that tomorrow morning there will be a bright golden haze on the meadow.

This is very pretty country. Rolling hills, lots of green, little wildflowers by the side of the road, fewer road signs than I’ve been seeing, thank goodness. And the temperature is in the 90’s but the wind is so strong that it feels more like a luxury spa than a sauna.

Just outside of Oklahoma City, I passed my very first ever Horse Shoeing School. The building was red, the campus was big, and the horses were numerous, and presumably in need of shoeing. I wonder if it’s a four-year accredited institution. Do you get a degree in shoe? What other courses might they offer? Something to consider.

We’re on our way to Yellowstone in Wyoming, so these are just one-night stopovers. Nevertheless, there’s something new and different everywhere we go. And if there isn’t, you can just make your own fun if you feel like it.

For instance, I just nailed the dumpster shut. Should make for an interesting evening, don’t you think?
Betty

1 comment:

Hatchet said...

At Horse Shoe School, you get a degree as a Farrier.

Had a claim with one who could not work anymore....his lost wages were UNBELIEVABLE! Threy make great money. Sign me up.