Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Private Collection

Chula Vista, CA

We went to the San Diego Zoo today.  We've been before with the kids, but we decided to go to the zoo, because when we got to Sea World, our original destination, it was $17 to park and $69 per adult to get in.  For $155 Shamu would have had to cook me a meal and serve me a martini on one of his flippers.  No thanks.

So instead we headed for the zoo, where we sat on our butts and rode the trolley, then took the sky ride, then called it a day.  It was a great decision.

I'm starting a collection of favorite sayings, mis-speaks and funny observations, and  thinking this would make a great little book.  So if you'd like to add a few of your own favs, just send them to me and I'll credit you if they ever end up between the covers.

All of these except one were first-hand comments, and by regular people who just happen to say what they said at a particular time and place and I never forgot them.  So, in no particular order:

Whatever comes, I eat.
        Frank DeVito

There's a man cremated for every woman.
        Stu Kuby

She's so loose mints on the desk.
        Mary Reynolds

There ain't no 28 cent pig.
        Anon.  Overheard on the street

Never little in de lake.
        Anon.  Advice given to my children by an old black woman.
        Little:  litter

It's cold.  Better put on your thermos.
        Lottie

I had an atomic pregnancy.
        Thelma

I'm going to get some of that Paramus for my bathroom.
        Thelma

Your chirren been actin up.
        Lottie

Them teeth needs a toof broth.
        Sidney

Koran Tabu
        Baby named after favorite book and favorite perfume
        Thelma's grandson

You do too know the gas station man:  You say his name every time.
Philip Regular
        Jeff, Age 4

Mom!  A chocolate policeman!
        Jeff, Age 4

I don't like that wicky wacky woo.
        Jeff, Age 3, at the car wash

You're not the boss of me
        Jonathan, Age 6, to his Aunt

She's all Monet Jewelry, beige hose, white hat.
        Mary Reynolds, describing an uptight co-worker

Why can't I see that movie?  It is sex and violins?
        Jonathan, Age 8

And finally, the one I didn't hear myself but I made it my mantra:

If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun.
         Katherine Hepburn

There are more to collect, mostly from my own childhood.   I haven't included shobbi, but that's a blog for another day.


Love
Betty

1 comment:

Hatchet said...

Put a seat belt on....you don't want your baby to be born in jail!
If you don't the policeman gonna put a rest on you!

Johnny J. 3yrs old...